Friday, November 4, 2011

This Week In Movies


            As I've said before on this blog, I have an undying love for movies. Just to give you an idea of my tastes, my top five movies all time would be:

1) Pulp Fiction
2) Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back
3) Animal House
4) Alien
5) Superbad

            So in another reason why I love Michigan State, the University Activities Board has four free Hollywood movies nearly every week playing on a big screen right on campus (plus free popcorn!). Talking about these movies will probably become a common theme so if you don't like movies bare with me. If you do like movies great! You are in the right place.

This weekend in particular looks like a great weekend for the movies, we have:

1) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Rotten Tomatoes: 96%)


The exciting conclusion to the whole series, the final battle between good and evil in the magical world. I have to come clean and admit that I love Harry Potter. I read all the books and so this is a no-brainer for me. I have already seen it but then again, it is amazing.

2) Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Rotten Tomatoes: 82%)


This is the reboot of the series going with an entirely new and separate origin story. I was a big fan of the 2001 Planet of the Apes led by Mark Wahlberg. Admittedly, however, the old timeline was very confusing so a reboot may be just what this series needs. I did not see this movie in theaters because I felt like the trailer showed the whole movie and there was nothing left for me to see, but then the movie got solid reviews and my interest has been renewed.

3)  Friends with Benefits (Rotten Tomatoes: 71%)


This one looks a lot like the Ashton Kutcher vehicle "No Strings Attached" which reviewed horribly. Its as though one writer pitched his script and two producers bought it. Luckily Friends with Benefits has Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis who look like they have a stronger chemistry than Natalie Portman and Kutcher.

4) The Change-Up (Rotten Tomatoes: 24%)


According to the trailer this is the "old formula with a new twist" which is another way of saying it is a formulaic story with an R rating. The reviews on this are not good but a few of my friends told me they found it hilarious so I may have to give it a chance. On top of that I love Jason Bateman, but where is that Arrested Development movie already!!
           
            This week definitely has a lot of awesome choices for really any taste in movies. If you are interested you should check out the showtimes. What are you going to see this weekend? Sound off in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment