Thursday, November 10, 2011

Penn State Tragedy: One Spartan's Take


            Normally I like to keep a light hearted feel to this blog. However, the current storm surrounding the scandal at Penn State has engulfed the media, the campus, and as a result, my thoughts. I'll preface my thoughts on the scandal with the context I am coming from. I did not watch college football until three years ago so I never saw Penn State when they were a top tier football program nonetheless in their glory days. I never revered or held any emotional connection with Joe Paterno while I did respect his tremendous accomplishments from afar.
            If you are unaware of the recent developments I recommend a quick read, even as tough as it is to get all the way through it.
            As I said I respected Paterno. This respect was grounded entirely in football, Joe Pa had an ability to lead a group of young men to victory on Saturdays in a sport. Paterno won games. It really is as simple as it sounds, they are just games when you take a step back. And up until this week we all thought he held high moral standards. Now we know that when faced with the greatest test of his morality, Paterno shrank from it, he ignored it, and he will rue it.
             Penn State students need to take this step back. Their reaction to the news that Paterno was fired is simply appalling. Paterno clearly held a deep rooted emotional connection with the campus, so much so that some of the student body deified Paterno. This loss led to violent riots, riots out of anger, anger that their leader was gone. This reaction is disgraceful and draws attention away from the victims of sexual abuse, and the victims that could've been prevented had Joe Paterno made the appropriate response.
            Is Paterno the same as Sandusky? No, but he is a man who deserves to lose his job and maybe more as the details pour out. The reaction by some, and I emphasize some, of the Penn State students is a reaction of blind worship for a man. I find myself thinking about the success Mark D'Antonio and Tom Izzo have achieved here at MSU and I like to think that while we love their accomplishments on the field, and the work they've done to build their respective programs, Spartans would not be so embarrassingly naive. I like to think that my fellow Spartans can distinguish between man and sports icon. I hope that those in power do not put athletics above morality. I hope nothing like this ever happens again. Most of all, I hope everyone's prayers go out to the victims and their families.

2 comments:

  1. I can't argue that the student response has been ridiculous, and i can't argue that Joe Paterno didn't do what he should have done, and I can't tell you what will come out in the coming weeks from PSU. But i can argue with your statement that "respect [for JoePa] was grounded entirely in football" I know you meant your respect for him, but i suspect you think that all people respect him for that. And that is where you are mistaken.
    Yes, Paterno gained his initall respect for being an outstanding coach, but he became a legend for what he did with his respect. He is known not only for winning games, but for his devout dedication to academics. His players were always held to an academic standard that puts the NCAA's standards to shame. I know all athetic directors say that they strive for 'student-athletes' however Paterno MADE student athletes. But his legend goes further, contract after contract Paterno has taken next to nothing compared to other coaches (his last contract was for ($512,000). And he donated most of it anyways. And I ask you this, would such a 'sports icon' refuse to allow any athletic buildings on campus be named after him, while donating a new wing to the PSU main library and graciously accepting that wing be called Paterno library? He might be know for football sure, but those who think hes a sports icon alone be dmamned, because JOe Paterno has done more for Penn State outside of football than any 'Sport Icon' in America's great history.
    The way I see it is Joe fucked up, he did, and im all for him losing his job. Hell I might even support a prison sentence depending on what comes out next. But to simply ignore all he has done that is positive in the world is unfair, and those who are calling for justice need to take that into account.
    Whatever Paterno's roll in this tragedy is, don't let anyone tell you he never did anything good, because even if it WERE JoePa raping kids, he still did a hell of a lot for the community as well. Send him to jail, but send him there as a fallen legend, not a supporter of child rape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your discussion here. This is the kind of thing people simply need to know about and discuss.

    As to your argument, I was simply referring to my context when I said that my respect for him was grounded in football as I did not pay attention, nor was I affected by his standards off the football field. I do recognize the profound impact Paterno had on the entire institution of Penn State.

    I also would like to point out here that despite all the good he has done, despite the grand experiment he invented, he also ruled Penn State like a tyrant. When the AD, his boss, came to his house and asked him to retire, he angrily threw him out.

    This aside I suppose my argument could be summed up thusly: Despite these grand accomplishments Joe Paterno is not above this grave mistake and he is not above the consequences that should follow. If the students of Penn State had their wish Joe Pa would still be coaching. This is placing football above all else and worst of all above the victims of these heinous crimes. This is wrong. I've actually looked at ESPN polls since posting this blog and noted that the majority of the state of Pennsylvania believes Paterno was wrongfully fired. I would urge them to re-consider these facts.

    ReplyDelete