Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Detroit Tigers: Pure Michigan

For those who don’t know this is my first ever summer spent in Michigan, and I’ve been trying to see everything she has to offer. Last week I went to the Detroit River. I decided to follow that up with a an afternoon at Comerica Park watching the Detroit Tigers taking on the Colorado Rockies.

I’m going to preface this by saying I’m not a big baseball fan. I haven’t played since I was 14 and I can’t watch it on TV until it’s the bottom of the ninth in a playoff series. But I absolutely love going to games in person. Perhaps Wrigley Field has spoiled me but I love the atmosphere of a ball game. The ebbs and flows and rhythm of the game feel more natural. There’s something magical about spending an afternoon with peanuts and hot dogs with 40,000 people watching 2 of the best teams in the world battle in a sport over 160 years old. And so it was this past Saturday afternoon. We showed up an hour or so early to take in the sights and sounds. Unlike Wrigley, we were able to park a mere block away for $10.


Once inside the first thing I noticed was how beautiful the stadium was, a true gem of Detroit. The entire skyline of the city the backdrop. The park itself a fitting arena for America’s pastime. It didn’t take long for the buzz of the crowd to come to life with a solo homer from Cabrera in the bottom of the first.
I don’t actually remember much of the game. I know it was never in doubt,  but the specific events of the game are inconsequential to me. The memories I will always have come from the time with the friends, the beautiful weather, good food, and the sounds and atmosphere of professional sport. That’s pure Michigan.




No comments:

Post a Comment